Unit 1 – Discussion Board
Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
- Define achieved and ascribed status.
- Choose 5 statuses to describe yourself. These should be a mixture of ascribed and achieved statuses. (Examples of statuses include: your race, gender, age, education level, income level, and so on. Do not include personality traits, such as being friendly, driven, hard-working, and so forth.)
- How does ascribed status affect achieved status?
- How do these statuses contribute to how you view yourself and how you view others?
- How could your college degree or career change affect your social status?
Unit 2 – Discussion Board
Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
This week will focus on stereotypes in the media. Complete the following:
First, define stereotype. Then, lead this definition into an analysis of stereotypes that are shown in the media by selecting 1 of the following, and look for instances of stereotyping (e.g., gender, class, race, ethnicity):
- 2 TV shows OR
- 2 advertisements OR
- 2 movies
- Describe why the medium you chose portrays a stereotype. Be specific in your answer.
- Cite 2–3 examples of the stereotypical behavior that you found, and tie these examples back to sociology by discussing how these examples help or hurt social views and stereotypes.