Week 7 discussion
Week 7 Discussion Board
To what extent would an organization’s culture affect your decision to accept a position there? How can informal communication and power structures be useful to an organization? When might it be appropriate to use distortion in your job as a social work practitioner?
***Be sure to cite your textbook in your response and give a reference note at the end. Respond to two classmates.
• Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment by identifying basic components involved in five dimensions of agency structure and culture.
• Compare and contrast these dimensions.
• Explain the relevance of each dimension.
1) Part A-Match the following concepts with their respective meanings.
1. Organizational culture _____
2. Organizational structure _____
3. Lines of authority _____
4. Channels of communication _____
5. Power _____
a. The potential ability to move people on a chosen course to produce an effect or achieve some goal.
b. “The set of key values, beliefs, understandings, and norms shared by members of an organization” involving “a pattern of shared values and assumptions about how things are done within the organization” (Daft & Marcic, 2013, p. 70).
c. Numerous, complex systems of verbal and nonverbal exchange whereby staff members convey and receive information.
d. The specific administrative and supervisory responsibilities of supervisors involving their supervisees, often illustrated by an organizational chart.
e. “The system of task, reporting, and authority relationships within which the work of an organization is done” (Griffin & Moorhead, 2012, p. 434).
2) Part B-Briefly discuss the following questions and issues.
a. Identify the key components involved in each of these concepts (Part A 1-5).
b. In what ways are these five concepts different?
c. In what ways are these five concepts similar?
d. Explain how each concept is important for understanding how organizations function.
Use chapter 7 to help answer the questions in this assignment.
Understanding Organizational Goals
· Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment.
· Critique and apply knowledge to understand person and environment.
· Substantively and affectively prepare for action with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
Using your textbook, match the following concepts concerning goals with their respective meanings.
1. Organizational goal _____
2. Official goal _____
3. Operational goal _____
4. Goal displacement _____
5. Mission statement _____
a. “Explicit or implicit” objectives that are likely “inferred from actual practices” employees follow within the organization (Lauffer, 2011, p. 27).
b. “Substitution of a legitimate goal with another goal which the organization was not developed to address, for which resources were not allocated and which it is not known to serve” (Etzioni, 1964, p. 10). This often “occurs when an organization moves in different directions from its original purpose” (Netting & O’Connor, 2003, p. 51).
c. A statement “of expected outcomes dealing with the problem that the program is attempting to prevent, eradicate, or ameliorate. They are responsive to problems and needs, and represent an ideal or hoped-for outcome” (Kettner, Moroney, & Martin, 2013, p. 131).
1. Stated intentions that “explain agency purposes” and “gather support and legitimacy for agency operations”; “they are often found in such formal documents as agency mission statements, incorporation papers, websites, annual reports, and promotional materials” (Lauffer, 2011, p. 27).
1. A declaration of the organization’s purpose that “establishes broad and relatively permanent parameters within which goals are developed and specific programs designed” (Kettner et al., 2013, p. 130).
Please use chapter 6 from your textbook to answer the questions.