Before you submit your Final Research Paper, make sure that you have
- Reviewed the Research Paper Guidelines to ensure your paper addresses all required components and develops a clear position in response to one of the writing prompts provided.
- Reviewed the Model Final Research Paper and Week Five Assignment Template in order to understand expectations for the assignment.
- Incorporated a minimum of five scholarly sources.
- Provided well-researched evidence to support each claim.
- Incorporated feedback or suggestions into your revisions.
- Proofread your final draft for errors in grammar, mechanics, and style.
Written a paper that is approximately seven to ten pages total in length, including
- a title page
- five to seven pages of body text (1,500 to 2,000 words)
- a references page
- Formatted your paper according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Your Final Research Paper will be assessed on the following components:
- APA formatting
: Complete the tasks above and save the document as a Microsoft Word or PDF file. Submit your assignment via the
button. Please use a naming convention for your assignment file that includes your last name and the week number. So, your Final Research Paper assignment should bear a file name that looks like: smithENG122w5.docx or smithENG122w5.pdf.
The Final Research Paper
- Must have a body length of five to seven double-spaced pages formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought, well-supported claims, and properly cited evidence.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use and cite at least five scholarly sources from the Ashford University Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Help with final paper
– 1 – 1 1. 2016 Great title page. [Barbara Green] Running head: MILITARY TO CIVILIAN LIFE 1 How to transition from Military to Civilian Living: Rough Draft Tianna Lindsey ENG122: English Composition II Instructor Barbara Green March 13, 2016 – 2 – 1 2 3 1. The transition period between the two is can a daunting task, however it is a task that can be accomplished if planned and thought out properly. This last sentence of the intro paragraph should be your three-point thesis and state the argument the essay will focus on as well as preview the three main points you will use to prove said argument. [Barbara Green] 2. Proper planning in a soldier’s life will increase the likelihood of a smoother transition from military service to civilian life. This should be the topic sentence for the first point from the thesis. In this paragraph, I would work to set up main point #1. Remember to always start a topic sentence with a transition. [Barbara Green] 3. According to US Fed News Services (2011) Good job providing a signal phrase for this quote. [Barbara Green] MILITARY TO CIVILIAN LIFE 2 How to transition from military to civilian living: Rough Draft Returning to civilian life presents new opportunities as well as challenges for veterans. Many veterans look forward to life after the military, this allows them to be able to spend more time with family and friends and no longer worry about military structure or being deployed. At the same time, this transition will lead to a lot of changes both positive and negative. Individuals who are undergoing separation from the military have been known to experience a variety of feelings, including: anxiety, frustration, fear, and loss. A strategy for combating these difficult feelings is through the provision of education and information. The transition period between the two is can a daunting task, however it is a task that can be accomplished if planned and thought out properly. Proper planning in a soldier’s life will increase the likelihood of a smoother transition from military service to civilian life. Veterans need to make sure to gather their thoughts and have suitable plans before moving forward (Collins, 2015). By proper planning, service member should not wait until 30 days from separation or retirement before starting the military to civilian transition process. Many veterans and soldiers’ getting to exit the military should be seeking out the services of agencies such as the VA, county-operated veteran services, and traditional veterans service organizations, theses services can be extremely helpful to veterans who are seeking to transition out of the military and into a successful civilian life. Preparing for retirement should begin way before the decision is made to retire. According to US Fed News Services (2011) “Research has shown that the more job assistance services a person receives, the higher that person’s starting salary will be and the faster that person will obtain meaningful employment”. This is the reason why proper planning is so necessary in ones a life changing event. – 3 – 1 2 3 4 5 1. Next, service members need to make sure to research employment opportunities look at unemployment rates, make sure to also develop a family budget and begin to save money before the transition. I’m seeing great topic sentence potential with this and the last paragraph. Make sure you have a three-point thesis as the last sentence of the intro that sets up what these topic sentences are presenting so that the reader has a heads up. [Barbara Green] 2. Serving Opposing point? [Barbara Green] 3. (TAP). I recommend you develop at least one sub-point for each main point as well as an opposing point to help develop your argument and meet word count requirement for the final. [Barbara Green] 4. many soldiers may look at transitioning out of the military as an easy experience. This should be a restatement of your thesis statement and should begin with a concluding transition. [Barbara Green] 5. successful. This essay is short of the required word count minimum. Remember that word count ONLY applies to the essay itself and does not include anything on the title page or the references page. [Barbara Green] MILITARY TO CIVILIAN LIFE 3 Next, service members need to make sure to research employment opportunities look at unemployment rates, make sure to also develop a family budget and begin to save money before the transition. Other things soldiers exiting out of the military should consider is doing research on geographical locations, health care facilities, life insurance options, educational benefits, and overall family needs. By planning it helps exiting service members to map out what to expect, so they aren’t caught off guard when it’s time to complete the transition from soldier to civilian. According to the landmark study conducted by Prudential, nearly 70 percent of veterans say their biggest challenge is finding employment after the service. Serving in the military can be difficult, demanding and dangerous, but returning to the civilian life also poses challenges for the men and women who have serves in the armed forces because employment after transitioning from the military is the greatest challenge when returning to civilian life. Proper planning, taking time to enjoy family and friends, being patient with one’s self will help to avoid frustration from overly high expectations. Exiting service members should be sure to reach out to support that support soldiers exiting the military like, Transition Assistance Program (TAP). In conclusion, many soldiers may look at transitioning out of the military as an easy experience. A lot of soldiers have spent half their lives in the service and are ready for a new lease on life, however, proper planning must be done to be successful outside the military. Civilian life is a lot different and harder than some aspects of the military life. Military gives soldiers a place to live, food, clothing, a job, friends and comprehensive health care. The military doesn’t give soldiers a lot of freedom or choices. Once a service member leaves the military that story is revised, so proper planning is a must for a service member to be successful. – 4 – 1 1. References You are on the right track, but I see issues. Please visit the Ashford Writing Center, located at https://awc.ashford/edu. Utilize ‘Writing Resources’, within the main toolbar, to find help in this area. [Barbara Green] MILITARY TO CIVILIAN LIFE 4 References MILITARY TO CIVILIAN: TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM MAKES SMOOTH TRANSITION. (2011, Jan 03). US Fed News Service, Including US State News Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/82207871 Collins, A. (2015). 5 Ways to make a smooth transition from military to civilian life. Employment and Transition, V1 (I#), pp1–pp3. Expertparent.com Moore, B. A. (2012). Prepare for transition to civilian life. Air Force Times, , 10. Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/940848095?accountid=32521 Chilton, J. (2013, Nov 11). Veterans face challenges transitioning to corporate world. McClatchy – Tribune Business News Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/1449810930? accountid=32521